Perfect Razor Wrestling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Selling Out

Go down

Selling Out Empty Selling Out

Post by Richard Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:46 pm

Wikipedia defines selling out as:

"Selling out" refers to the compromising of one's integrity, morality and principles in exchange for money, 'success' (however defined) or other personal gain. It is commonly associated with attempts to increase mass appeal or acceptability to mainstream society. A person who does this, as opposed to continuing along his or her original path, is labelled a sellout and typically regarded with disgust and immediate loss of respect. Selling out is often seen as gaining success at the cost of credibility.

Over time there will be bands who are on small, indie lables who develop a strong fanbase who could be contacted by a major record label to sign a contract to do 'x' ammount of albums or for 'x' ammount of years. If the band signs with the major record label, automatically the band is labelled as a 'Sell Out' which I don't think is fair.

So, if you had a band or were a singer and were on a small, indie label and were contacted by a major record label like Warner, or Sony BMG, what would you choose to do and why? Would you stay small or would you go big? Also, what is your opinion of the whole concept of 'Selling Out'? Do you agree or disagree that bands who sign onto major record labels are 'Sell Outs' and are only in it for fame or whatever else?

Me, I would take the major record deal. Money wouldn't be the main reason (Although money is very nice), I would want as many people to have access to my music as possible and that would be through major record labels because they would be able to distribute the records and merchandise to more places where people know about. I also don't agree with the whole concept of calling bands 'Sell Outs' because I think that if anyone was in a band, I doubt they would want to stay underground or small for their entire life.
Richard
Richard
Frodo Baggins
Frodo Baggins

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum